Thursday 21 June 2012

Pink iPhones on the Carpet

Posted by Media Lady at 13:20
The iPhone wasn't out when I was a teenager (mobile phones had barely hit the shelves - yeah, I'm old, get over it), but for some reason this picture really reminds me of being a teenager: 



It's one of those memories that comes with a smell - a sugary-sweet strawberry-bubblegum smell of that kind of friendship girls do so well. Sitting around in Kate's bedroom with her, Kath and Becky, comparing thigh sizes even when everyone could see Becky's were the skinniest by a mile. Shorts pulled up so we could criticise our own cellulite levels while reassuring each other that we had no cellulite. Like, none. Like, you're beautiful, Kath, really. No, you're not fat. She always was paranoid, but that's the way of healthy girls, right? Two of us were pretty much anorexic. One of us was naturally skinny. Kath was the normal-sized one, which meant (like Jesy from Little Mix) that compared to the rest of us she did look kinda large. 

Racing outside as soon as the sun came out, dashing across Kate's lawn, divebombing into her pool while her two Rottweilers, Rocky and Voodoo, looked on. Her mom was so cool. She made the best fruit salads ever. She'd bring them to us to keep us happy while we swam, lounged at the poolside with a book wearing one of those sunhats which look ridiculous on most people except models, which Kate's mom had been. Of course. 

It was a world away from my alcoholic mother and my council flat, which was one of the reasons I loved it. But also, the girls were just fucking awesome. The best friends I could have wanted in my teens. I wonder what they're doing now? Last I heard, Kate got married in the Seychelles, Kath went travelling and Becky was somewhere up north doing some kind of admin job. 

I wish we'd stayed in touch. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Secrets of a Media Lady Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos